“What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dreams, Goals, Aspirations – they keep our hearts pumping and get us out of bed in the morning. Take yours for example. You’ve been daydreaming about it for months. If you’ve read my last post (Are You Ready to Get Started?), then you have a clear idea of what success looks like. Let’s put some legs on that idea!
Keeping your list of criteria (what success looks like to you) handy, let’s plot out the steps to achieve your goal:
- Laptop or pen and paper ready to go. Check!
- Motivational music. Check!
- Stares at blank page and scratches head.
Don’t panic. Unless you’ve planned projects and programs for years, you can’t know the exact steps off the top of your head. It takes a bit of research and maybe a chat with an expert who’s done something like you’re trying to accomplish. Here are a few suggestions on how to get started:
- Think it through – Make a list of the things you need to do before you can achieve your goal. Note – You’re just getting started, so you’ll have gaps.
- Research it – Jump on line and start searching. Better yet, visit your local library.
- Research it Hardcore – Hop in the car and visit a place that relates to your idea. Example – I’m writing a historical horror story. I plan to visit my local museum.
- Research it Hardcore the Sequel – Contact someone who is an expert in the subject matter you’re researching. Most people are happy to talk about their favorite subjects.
Great work! We’ll talk it through next time on DTJ.