I have a confession to make. Ready? I’m not always the confident, positive writer who marches purposefully along my creative journey. 2016 was a tough year full of health problems, work travel and negative events. Despite my best efforts, work on my current novel slowed from a humming 75 mph to about 5 mph.
Creative inertia is the worst! Your motivation takes a nose dive. Depression and frustration sets in. Soon you start to wonder if you really are on the right path. Here are some steps I took to escape creative inertia:
- Do some self-care. Take a spa day, meditate or try a new hobby to relax
- Take stock. Why do you do what you do? And is it still worth doing?
- Adjust your definition of success. Are you enjoying those small successes or are you fixating on fame and fortune?
- Fall in love with your creative journey again. Take a step back and really look at what you’ve done and where you’re going
- Don’t take yourself too seriously! Nobody needs that kind of pressure.
- Have Fun!