I have a special gift. My creative brain is a master at dreaming up excuses NOT to write. Something about an underdeveloped outline sends my thoughts drifting. My intentions on meeting those daily writing goals are good. I just space off every once in a while.
Time wasters and distractions are the devil. These seemingly harmless saboteurs keep you from meeting your small goals. Miss those small goals and ultimately risk failing to achieve your dream. Avoid these saboteurs at all costs! Well – until you’ve finished your work anyway. Everybody needs some down time to relax.
Common Time Wasters:
- Visual Enticements – Netflix, Hulu and You Tube
- Mental Wastelands – Reality TV, FB, Twitter and other social media sites
- Emotional Swamps – Gossip, office and other politics, participating in drama when you should be writing
See those little devil horns and pitch forks? Ignoring them is hard, but necessary. Here are a few steps to help you stay focused. Full Disclosure: I’m not always successful at ignoring my own little devils. We all have moments of laziness or lack of commitment. Don’t beat yourself up if you fail. Try again tomorrow. Do better.
- Plan daily goals
- Set a time each day to work
- Make a commitment to honor the promises you make to yourself
- TURN OFF THE TV and STAY OFF THE INTERNET while you are supposed to be working