I ran into a writer buddy of mine at a party this weekend. We discussed the hardships of working a demanding career job PLUS kicking out novels each year(ish) PLUS simply being a home owner. Nobody promised living the dream would be easy.
How do we and others like us do it? We CHOOSE to do it. Our creative projects become a priority. We schedule time to work the projects, because they’re important to us. Making progress becomes a priority.
- Set aside time each day to work on your creative project. Even 15 minutes a day will help you make progress toward achieving your goals. Make progress a habit
- Set a deadline for each short-term goal and the ultimate goal of completely finishing your project
- Visualize what your creative project will look like when you’re done.
- Beat yourself up if you miss a day or a week of working the creative project. Stuff happens
- Try to swallow the whole enchilada at once. Bite size pieces of your project are easier to tackle
Stick with it! You can do it! Sending best wishes and encouragement your way!