Recently, I’ve had the opportunity to observe the different behaviors between men and women when they are asked about their career goals. Most of the men were confident in their skill sets, made a point to herald their accomplishments and weren’t shy about asking for what they wanted. Many of the women, however, came off as hesitant to crow about their skills and accomplishments. They were unnecessarily polite in expressing their career desires.
- STOP apologizing for going after your goals
- BLAST your “I accomplished this” trumpet until ears are ringing
- BE PROUD of your intelligence and skill sets
- COACH the women in your life on the art of showing confidence
- LISTEN to the women in your life as they express their hopes and dreams
- REMEMBER society has taught little girls to postpone their goals while fulfilling the needs of others. Help us change that by being an encourager!
It’s not all doom and gloom. Times are changing. Our younger generations of little girls and little boys have grown up seeing confident and intelligent women accomplish great things. They consider this THEIR NORM. It gives me great hope for the future.