I love this time of year. Stroll along the sidewalks and you’ll notice folks have an extra spring about their step. Hearts are more generous. Smiles are wider. Eyes sparkle with the promise of joy and happiness during this season of friendly fun.
Not feeling it? I understand. Lots of worries and strife in the world lately. Let me share with you what I told the nice young man behind the counter of my favorite noodle shop when he told me he was overwhelmed by the negativity.
“Holidays – much like life – are what you make of them,” I told him.
“Yeah!” His eyes gleamed during the sudden light bulb moment. “I just need to be more positive.”
I hope you’ll have the same light bulb moment too. Take a break from the negative and allow your heart to welcome the positive spirit of the season. How? I’ve made a list of things I use to jump start my Holiday Happy:
- Catch a Holiday themed play– Every year, I hop the light rail and head to The Denver Center for Performing Arts. My Holiday choices are “A Christmas Carol” and “White Christmas.” Seeing talented artists perform my favorite stories is an incredible boost.
- Look for the Light– If your city is anything like mine, there will be several venues displaying beautiful decorations and lights.
- Share the Spirit – Wrangle your friends and family out for an evening of dinner and holiday events. Spending time with those you care about will fuel the spirit.
- Speaking of Spirits – Eggnog. Yep. It’s the miracle cure for the Holiday Blues especially when you share it with someone special.
- New in Town – Maybe you’re experiencing a time in your life when you’re alone over the holidays. Don’t despair! Get off the couch and join some fun groups like Meetup.com. You may find new friends to help you feel right at home.
Be Positive. Be Happy. Be Well. AND BE MERRY!